“Governor Whitmir can go to hell. I’m getting on with living my life.”
So said a million or so Michigan residents last week who chose to go out and start living their lives instead of hiding behind the walls of their homes.
A Million Michigan Residents Stopped Staying Home After Whitmer Extended Lockdown, Data Show
Michigan residents went out more last week, according to cell phone data reported by The New York Times, after Gov. Gretchen Whitmer extended her stay-at-home executive order May 1 to combat the coronavirus pandemic.
Approximately one million more people began to move around the state between May 1 and MAy 8, to move around the state again, The NYT reported.
The number of people who stayed home dropped nearly 11 percentage points during the first week of May compared to the prior six weeks, when half of the state’s residents sheltered in place, The NYT’s analysis showed.
Whitmer began instituting lockdowns in March to slow the novel coronavirus, and stressed the stay-at-home orders again Monday.
“These executive orders are not a suggestion,” Whitmer, a Democrat, said Monday during a press conference addressing her May 1 decision to extend the state’s lockdowns until May 28. “They’re not optional. They’re not helpful hints,” she said when reporters asked about people doubting her authority to implement the orders.
Location data from other sources also show people getting back to their lives in some form.
People were back to visiting gas stations and fast food restaurants at pre-COVID-19 levels, according to an April 30 blog post from Foursquare, a location technology platform.